Keynote: Stormy Peters, Mozilla Corporation¶
Everybody in this room is defining the future. Think about how you put the user in control of the web - the average user.
Make a future with cool robots, not a future where companies take you’re information without your knowlege. Keep the web open and accessible.
- How we can create responsible websites
- The Growing Community
- Making tools that are responsible
Grow in ways the include the new people and existing.
136 sponsors this year, 2004 was a fraction of the sponsors
Tons of people are here for their first PyCon ever
Veteran PyCon members should find new attendees and welcome them
- When you meet somebody you have 3 seconds to make an impression
- First thing they notice is your hair
- Second is your shoes (she wears toe shoes)
- Active memebers in the community should encourage people who make the effort to be involved. Give them a good first impression
- Why people get involved in the community
Because they have an itch to scratch
- But not all of us.
- People love to learn something new
- Solving problems
- To become famous (laughs)
- They get paid to (typically more diversity is created by this route)
- Because they believe it should be free and availble to all people
Everybody stays because of the Community
Community is much more likely to stay involved if you can measure their impact
How can we create responsible websites¶
Mozilla and Stormy believes in building these tools
Mozilla is completely open with the web as the platform
- She get’s an email from a person from Mongolia
- He’s excited because he’s a teacher and in Mongolia you can’t checkout books from the library, but his students can get these books on their phone because of html books from Mozilla.
- Kids in Mongolia have cell phones, but not very many books
By keeping the web open and software free we can change the world.
People make huge sacrifices to make this open web
The challenge is to keep pushing, keep going. Still more to be done.
Free != Open
How can we make websites and services to offer people freedoom
You have to give users tools along the way so that they don’t feel disempowered when they can’t to their data
We need fewer ‘it doesn’t work’
- The do not track movement
- Logging into websites with profiles
- Give people ways to delete and remove those profiles
- It’s hard to delete your online identity
We need to rethink the way we build websites
- How these interact with our online identity
- Our different devices
Keep the user in control and responsble
- Education is important, but it needs to be more than this
- Let user know what they are actually doing on the web, what data they are putting out there
- Grow the community responsibly
- Create tools the give users control
- Make nice friendly robots
How do we make sure the future is a place where the users have control