Keynote: Paul Graham, YCombinator¶
This is way bigger than the last PyCon we talked at. It was 2002. Just a small fraction of the attendance today.
What is silicon valley like?
- The center of silicon valley moves around.
- Where is the greatest collection of people who want to make stuff happen
We are in the center of silicon valley right now, right here
A list of 7 Giant startup ideas (be a billionaire!!)
The biggest startup ideas are frightening
The threaten your identity
Start the next google
The right ideas are just on the right side of impossible
- Microsoft really lost their way when they got into the search business
- The did this because they were afraid of Google
Google may have peaked, but doesn’t mean there is a room for a new search engine
Paul is nostalgic to the old google.
Now results are like scientology results. What’s true is true for you (big laughs)
Find the tiny thing that turns into the giant idea. Find the dinosaur egg.
- make a search engine that all the hackers use
- Maybe only 10,000 users but you’d be in a powerful position
- Make the search engine you want
Email is a to-do list not communication
But it’s a shitty to-do list
Tweaking the inbox is not enough
Make a to-do list protocal
Gives more power to the receipent
People send emails to themselves is proof of this (I do this all the time)
Entreanched protocols are almost impossible to replace
But it’s time
- Powerful people are in pain because of email
- This means you can make money on this idea!!
- You have a dinosaur chicken!
- Build it and make it fast
He could justify spending tons of money on this
Is reluctant to suggest this.
The last couple decades universities have went down a bad path
They are like expensive country clubs
- Might get replaced by a whole bunch of little things
- Many will not look like universities at all
Change the way people learn
- Universities are kinda like a credential at this point
- So maybe crenditals have to be done outside of this
Slow to embrace the internet
- Can now call the winner for delievry mechanism for entertainment
- It is the Internet
Some of the attention people spend watching TV can be stole by other things
Still a residual demand for people who want to watch a story unfold
- How do we deliver drama via the Internet
- Must be on a larger scale than YouTube
Two ways delivery and payment can play out
A new Apple¶
Was talking to somebody who knew Apple well. Asks the question, “Post Steve Jobs can Apple still innovate” Answer: No
- Who is going to make the next iPad
- Maybe none of the existing players
Only want to get a product visionary as CEO is for that person to start the company. (And that person doesn’t get fired)
The next Apple is a start up
Who’s going to make the future
- There is a vacuum. Ready for a new company to lead the way.
- People are used to following
Bring back the old Moore’s Law¶
Hardware was solving softwares problems
Would be great if a start up could give back something of the old Moore’s Law
Make many CPU’s look and act like one super fast one
Programmers like convience
In world of web services we don’t see processors anymore
Instead of the compiler, build stuff out of smaller components. (hadoop, map / reduce)
- Create a market place for optimization
- Write bots to do the optimization
Imagine the ways we will seem backwards to people in the future
- Ridiculous we have to wait for symptoms to know we have problems
- Example: heart problems
- Have to wait until your arteries are 90% blocked to know there is a problem
Surely, in the future this will happen. People will know how blocked their arteries are like their weight
Next example, Cancer
Traditionally you feel symptoms, go to the Dr. Need to start looking for problems pro-actively.
If people are scanned all the time - there will be less freak-out moments
Going against thousand of years of medical history
If you want to take on a problem, don’t make a frontal attack.
Don’t say you’re replacing email, say you’re building to-do list software
Start with small things, make them bigger
Start small for your own sake, not for other people
- Bigger your ambitions the longer they take to realize
- The more you have to look into the future, the more you’ll be wrong
Columbus “There is something in the West”
Blurry view of the future is the best
The idea of what is property? What is convient to be called property. Land didn’t used to be, but it is now.
Now files move around like smells. Doesn’t make sense to charge people for copies anymore.
- Question about Replacing universities. Other value to them than learning.
- Would it be bad if people don’t physically meet? Things have to happen in person.
- Things can be made that involve people meeting in person.
Get a degree from people, not institutions
Maybe universities used to be like this